Sunday, October 30, 2011

Nearing Halloween

They say that on Halloween the veils between the worlds, this one and the next, thin.  This year, the veil between the seasons has thinned.  We had a nor'easter come in last night that left us with several inches of snow.  Even though it is still October and the time hasn't changed, the light seemed different tonight and the sound of snow crunching under foot was an unexpected joy.

All day, I have been visited in memory by ghosts of Halloweens past: Going with my father to the barber in Mayfield. The shop was in the A- frames.  I can smell the warm scent of the aftershave hanging  in the air and watch with anticipation the white-tails in the snow peering out from their life-sized wall mural framing the nook where the magazines were;  Riding in the snow in my uncle's red Willy Jeep behind the station.  The morning sun is bouncing off the snow and the bright sky as chains clank on the metal floor and I try to hold on to my seat located over the rear wheel.  Everyone's cheeks are as red as the paint on the vehicle; Excited to be in the "little school" Halloween parade,  marching down North Main Street  my blue winter coat with white faux fur fringe around the hood covering my costume. Snow flakes swirl in the air.  I am haunted and I am happy.

Jack the third, 2011

Playing in the snow, October 30, 2011

Trick or Treat?  Snow, October 29, 2011

No comments: