Sunday, March 25, 2012

Happy Endings

I 've been thinking about movies and books that are popular, such as the Hunger Games.  There is often not a clear hero or heroine and often the setting or action of the movies are less than heartening.  I have always struggled with the "classic' movies.  I thought it was just bad acting, but now I think it more a reflection on what I was reared on for moral development.  Shows like 30 Something which is chock-a-block with furtive glances and solemn stares kept me scratching my head. Stories like Lord of Flies always felt unfinished to me. The simplicity of a strong and moral character has become more important to me again as Maisie is getting into the meaning of things.  The shows she watches on Nickelodeon and Sprout are very heavily skewed  toward the moral high ground. I like that. She is a child-the world is suppose to be safe and happy and fair. We are branching out into Disney movies, which stretch this principle.  Bambi (which I can't watch, but apparently Maisie can), The Lion King,  Spirit, and the feel-good movie The Aristocats have been big hits, that have stirred up a lot of pretending, questions, and connections.

I think as a culture-or even-race, we need more clearly defined heroes choosing to be brave, just, and kind.

No comments: