Thursday, March 22, 2012

Approaching 50


My 49th birthday is coming soon.  Of course, this leads to thoughts of turning 50. Maybe 50 is the new 30, but the body is still 50 years old and I have done a lot to this machine in the 5 decades I have been in it. Crossfit has given me a new perspective on fitness and the possibilities for MY body, but it also has illuminated the creaks,  weakness, and chronic pains that seem to crop up randomly and often.

Some goals I want to realize as I approach and enter my next decade include:


  • Travel-big adventure travel (for me) -Yosemite, Caribbean, Iceland, Scandinavia...
  • Lose weight=live longer.  I don't want to be a chronic, long-term care patient and I want to be a viable parent for Maisie well into her adulthood.
  • Build a usable Crossfit garage gym
  • Own a Jeep Wrangler
  • Get a good family fishing boat
  • Launch a lucrative writing career
Not Over the Hill, yet.


The two goals I have in the cross hairs and will have a domino effect on the others are Crossfit and writing. I am taking a grant writing class and a nature writing class this spring and rebooting my efforts on this blog. I am issuing myself (and any of you who would like to join me) a 50 Burpees Challenge starting April 11, 2012.  Starting on the 11th and for the next 50 days I will do daily consecutive burpees, i.e. 1 on the 11th, 2 on the 12th....until on the 50th day I will do 50 burpees.  That is a total of 1275 (if I did the math right-notice math mastery is NOT one of my identified goals).

And as always, thinking about doing a Spartan Sprint.















No comments: