Monday, January 18, 2010

The Trials of Life


I don't know if anyone out there remembers the series, The Trials of Life, but it was pretty much full catastrophe living. I got so I couldn't even watch the ads due to the gruesome-ness. (I am even worse now.) Yesterday we had a live version in our backyard. For over three hours there was a Cooper's Hawk (or Sharp Shinned-hard to differentiate) killing, plucking, and disemboweling a pigeon-and not necessarily in that order. Maisie watched for a while with some interest. I was observing through the binoculars when I realized the pigeon was still alive and still struggling to escape. There were three other pigeons perched on the wires overhead...I couldn't tell if they were thinking they were the lucky ones or if they were witnessing while their compatriot valiantly fought for his life or perhaps they were standing vigil to assist him to the other side.

No comments: