Sunday, December 20, 2009

The Atomic

A very significant piece of my history was destroyed by fire yesterday morning, The Atomic. It was a gas station and general store owned and operated by my mother's family in Mayfield , NY. My grandmother lived across the road. I spent a ton of time there. My uncle and his family lived over the store. There was a creek that ran in back and a quarry. I loved that place. The business was usurped by unethical employees aided by a head injury incurred by my uncle. My grandmother's house was usurped by unethical family aided and abetted by the infirmaties of old age. And now the old gal has gone down in flames. R-I-P Atomic, old friend.

2 comments:

Jean Coloney said...

I'm sorry for your loss. And your unethical family members. Hope you and HE and Maisie are well.

Heather T said...

Thanks Jean. I might think the unethical family member in question (in this case) might be having some issue with watching this happen. It's Cal and he lives across the road from the store.

Happy Holidays to you and the girls. Hope everyone is well.