Friday, March 20, 2009

Scenes from life with a toddler



Pulling back the shower curtain at our house has become a bit of an adventure...you never know what you may find.  The same holds true for walking into a room and what may be laying on the floor.  I imagine it is somewhat similar to living with someone with dementia who is doing the odd "misplacing" of things.  Maisie seems very deliberate in her "sorting", as I am certain those with dementia are. I wonder if the process is the same for choosing the ideal locations for these objects?

Sometimes I will stumble upon sweet exchanges between a staff member in a facility and a "confused" elder or hear the banter, often nonsensical (to me, anyhow) between folks and my heart breaks a little more...at the tenderness, the vulnerability, and even more than that, at knowing these people are (most likely) someone's parent and they were once someone's child.

I pray there will there be somebody who will love and protect my child when she is an old woman.

No comments: