Friday, March 27, 2009

All In A Days Work

These photos are of various rodent skeletons. You might ask "Where did they come from?" .  A legitimate question.  I dissected them out of a barn owl pellet.  Another legitimate question might be...why?  I am teaching a Senior College class at University of Maine Augusta, so I get to take a class, too.  I am taking Introduction to Natural History, believing it will give me material to add to my Ecology of Loss workshop.  So there you have the "six degrees of Kevin Bacon" version of why this is all in a days work for me.

There is a skull, a jawbone, a shoulder blade and a sundry collection of more of the same plus hips, ribs, vertebra, phillanges,etc.  They are most likely mice and shrew parts.



1 comment:

MEhikah said...

Boy, you sure know how to have a good time! Seriously, it's quite interesting. We've got lots of "material" for you to look at around here. We'll have to go exploring some time soon.