Sunday, August 31, 2014

Crossfit Hack

For the past few years I have been interested in Crossfit.  I've taken an "On Ramp", which just about killed me but also showed me the degree to which I have to focus in a workout to see results and I did-shaving off about 3 minutes of one of the workouts in about 3 weeks time. For me, the cost of joining a "Box" is outrageous and impractical. I pay 150% less at the "globo gym" I go to.  Sure, I don't have the group experience, but that's ok for me and I might not have all the Crossfit related equipment, but I scale most WODS (workouts of the day) anyway so I am happy where I am at, for now at least.  The biggest boon came for me when I changed my eating.  There is still room for improvement but I use My Fitness Pal to stay below a caloric intake and try to eat more on the Paleo side and I have lost about 40 pounds, dropped a few sizes and generally feel better than I have in years.  I have some aches and pains, mostly knees that get banged up in basketball (Senior Games), but even those are better because of my diet and working out.

Here is a sample workout I did today.  I call it Bringing Sexy Back.

warm up: 13 mins. elliptical trainer
stretching

strength building: chest press: 5 sets as many reps as possible adding weight each set until you can only bang out one rep max ( I got to 80lbs of weight not counting the bar on the Smith machine )

For time: 3 rounds of: 5 mins on Crosstrainer GO HARD
                                   21 swiss ball hamstring curls
                                   21 hollow rocks (a type of sit up)
                                   7  dumb bell biceps curls with heavy weight ( I did 25 lbs.)
GO HEAVY...go with it.

No comments: