Friday, May 31, 2013

Whale Songs

I am reading Peter Matthiessen's Blue Meridian: The Search for the Great White Shark. 

There is a paragraph about whale sounds and songs in which he writes:  It is now believed, from preliminary evidence, that the deepest and most sonorous notes of a humpback whale can and may be heard by another humpback anywhere in the same ocean basin, and may even resound around the world.  That is simply astounding.

No word conveys the eeriness of whale song, tuned by the ages to a purity beyond refining, a sound that man should hear each morning to remind him of the morning of the world.

I thought this seemed like a great idea.  I downloaded a recording of humpback whale songs and have been listening to it every morning while I drive to work. It is grounding, comforting and inspiring.

Give it a try and let me know how it goes for you.



No comments: