Thursday, July 15, 2010

Lettuce Bolt and RIP (Rest in Peas) or How My Summer Vacation Nearly Killed My Vegetable Garden


O.K., so it wasn't quite this bad, but...

We were gone for 5 days during July during a spat of very high temperatures, humidity and abundant sunshine. Did this rocket scientist, backyard farmer even think once about asking someone to water the garden? Nope.  Never even entered my mind-despite the fact that I had been watering nightly on regular basis since April.  Needless to say, we now have more room to replant some fall crops as the lettuce all bolted and the peas shriveled up and died. At least the chickens are enjoying the gleanings.  My apologies to the garden nymphs.  I will make efforts to redeem myself.

1 comment:

MEhikah said...

Had a friend of yours been a little more on the ball your garden would have been watered! Got caught up in my own vacation bliss. Next time lets talk & formulate a plan.