Friday, December 19, 2008

Ghosts of Christmas' Past

It's been three years since I last saw my father alive.  They were on their way to visit me in Maine for the holiday and their truck broke down in Vermont, so they went back to NY after getting it up and servicable.  So, I went there.  For a few days.  Then it was maybe four, then five, then...I think I stayed a week. It was the first time I had been home in a while and in years by myself. Much to my surprise I had a good time. 

The thing I remember the most about the time I spent there is going to Northville in the truck with him and Abby to the feed store and then we went to the Adirondack Country  Store.  I bought a book about Bigfoot sightings in the Northeast, a bar of pine soap and some quilted coasters.

He died in his sleep four months later.

No comments: